Thursday, August 28, 2008

What Does America Mean to You?



I was roped into putting together a display on the US for a cultural awareness program. What is considered traditional American cuisine? What is important to share with others about the US? Is it our freedom to disagree with our government? Is it our freedom to protest? Is it our freedom to practice any religion we want (as long as it doesn't hurt others), or to not believe in any religion? Is it our culture, our merchandise, our technology, our ideas?  When I think about the US I think of the diversity of our culture between New York, Madison, Houston, Atlanta, LA, San Francisco, and the list goes on. I think of the stories of how our fore fathers came to this land, how we have made mistakes, tragedies, and advancements. I think of all the people who have served in the military and government to protect our freedoms and of those who protested against the government to keep our freedoms. It seems that the constant through out our history and across the nation is this push and pull, this dialogue about what America stands for, what freedoms we have, if there such a thing as too much freedom or too much government control. Maybe that is what America is, a discussion, an experiment on how we can all live together... 


Any thoughts would be appreciated. I want to try to give an overview of the whole country, of all the people, but I know I can't. I am one person who has lived part of a life in a country with, at present, 300 million lives, 300 million different experiences, 300 million different takes on what this country is. 

No comments: