Friday, February 27, 2009

Living in OZ, the wicked witch isn't dead yet.




I have become cynical here in Oz. I am sick and tired of the way men here treat women, how they think that they can talk down to us and how they think that they can scold us when we speak up. I'm sick of how the some people at this university think that they can barge into your office without knocking and just start messing about. I'm appalled by the way they treat people and I no longer care if this is a cultural difference that I'm suppose to just get over, I refuse to let men walk over me and I will speak up when they are wrong and I will make sure my voice is heard even if I am labeled as a crazy lady or worse. Any one thinking of moving to Oz needs to know this about their culture, it's not in any books and most people will not tell you about it. When you visit it doesn't sink in and on the surface they are a lovely people. There are many many good individuals here, but the culture is still one of repression of women and minorities. And for everything that I've just said, its worse for the aboriginals.

No comments: