Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No women lab demon. for 2nd Sem.

We aren't even being considered. Why? because they refused to give us labs other then first year algebra based physics. The reason they gave me now (last sem. they told me that there was no difference between teaching any of the labs) is that I had never demonstrated before, which is an out and out lie. Apparently any thing I did before coming to Australia doesn't count. There were also other women in the department who had taught labs there previously so it is a bit odd that they put us all in the same position. They decided last sem. that none of us would be eligible to teach, that we would be forced to have a lower income. The thing that gets me, none of the girls seem to care, none of the Prof. seem to care (although mine did have words with the guy hiring people and said that he will make sure that I get into the other labs next year, and that what is happening is ridiculous). It seems like people just look over the plight of the women in the department because there aren't many of us, and all of us are also international students.

So I will say that it might not be a women's issue (although I think it is) but it might be a international student issue. As I stated above, all of the women in the department (post grads that is) are international students. The men who are international students (except for one South African who also did his undergrad there) are also in the position. Whether this is a problem with sexism, or with xenophobia, this needs to be fixed, unfortunately the overwhelming response is "No Worries".

No comments: