Monday, July 13, 2009

What we need here

I found this and I think this is what is needed once again, at least here in Australia. People need to be outraged against how women are treated here. I've been asked if I would be willing to submit a testimonial of my experience in Australia for the Australian embassy to use on their website to encourage more people to study abroad here. I wonder if I send what I want if anyone will take notice and maybe change will start to occur.
I am female student completing a PhD at the University of Newcastle. Australia is a beautiful country and University of Newcastle has some wonderful Prof., which is the whole reason I came out here. What they do not tell you is that most international students are not eligible for student discounts on the busses, trains, or ferries, but then also do not include this added cost to your total cost of living. Another point that they tend to not mention is that women (and to a larger extent foreigners and non Caucasian people) are not treated as equals in many situations. There is still this idea of the man's man and that women are their accessories. This could be localized to the blue collar town of Newcastle, but I've seen it in varying degrees across Australia. The first women's lunch at the university this year was on how to loose weight, not on any women's issues in the university or workplace. There have also recently been many problems with violence against international students and the lack of concern from the general population I find deeply disturbing. My Chinese office mate was mugged walking home 6 months ago and was told that he need only tell the university security and that the police didn't need to be involved. He has lost all faith in being protected by the Australian police and it is a sediment I have heard time and again from international students. I've also heard many people tell me they don't like foreigners..." real foreigners, not like you", in other words non white English speaking foreigners. Over all I have found the experience of comparing the two cultures, that of the US and that of Australia, a very interesting and intellectually stimulating experience. I am very grateful for having this experience of being able to immerse myself into another culture and I have grown because of this. I have found some wonderful friendships which I will always treasure, and I have found people who try to fit me into their stereo type of a stupid American.
I need to find a better ending, and I don't expect them to use it, but maybe just maybe they will see this and see the need for change now.

No comments: