Sunday, November 6, 2011

Voting this Tuesday!

I'm so excited to be able to once again vote in person! Growing up I remember in my civics classes always being told that your most important job as a citizen was to vote, and was something I missed the most while living abroad. Sure I was able to and did vote for elections back in the US, but I wasn't able to vote in elections where I was living, and on measures that had more of a daily impact of my life, like the fact that international students were not allowed student concessions on busses because ya know we were foreigners. I understand why I couldn't vote, and that by moving there I had agreed to it, but I didn't like it. I once complained that I felt like a second class citizen and was reminded that I wasn't a citizen first, second or any class. This next week I once again get to use this liberty. I've read the bios of the aldermen at large and have chosen those whom I wish to vote for (all the other races only have one choice)

Bill White - whom was once a Republican, but is now a democrat endorsed by the progressive democrats and added a T-station to the orange line in Somerville.
Dennis Sullivan - Also endorsed by the progressive democrats and who according to the Somerville Journal

 asked city lawyers to draft a domestic violence policy at City Hall, booting offenders from city jobs and giving employees who have been victimized time to go to court. After a year of inaction from City Hall, Sullivan once again called for a policy to be written at the last aldermen meeting.
Sean Fitzgerald - who supports gay marriage and a state wide progressive income tax
and Jack Connolly - who has supported the expansion of the t-lines throughout Sommerville.

Yea voting! Yea democratic process! Yea America!





No comments: