Saturday, October 1, 2011

New library... at least to me

So today we went and got Library cards at the local public library. I have to say I'm disappointed. The library has very few books that are on my current reading list. The libraries in the network have very few of the books I have on my reading list, and none of them are in e-book format. On top of this, the library website is incredibly difficult to search in. I wanted to find a humorous book, so I searched for the key word humour, and nothing came up.

Finally I found in the pull down menu for subject I was able to find humour fiction and non fiction which came up with a total of ~20 books. Not a great selection, and I know that I saw a few others that I've already read and should be in those categories. In this age of google searches, I've gotten use to the idea of an easy search. I can type in funny books to read and come up with pages and pages of suggestions. Why can't the library tap into this? Why not have a google search of their web site which just has lists and lists of books and the descriptions from the publisher? They really seem antiquated and need help entering the digital age.

Anyway, there is my angst against the library. Maybe some day I'll grow to love it.

No comments: